Financial Aid

Financial Aid Application Procedures

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  You may apply online at  This must be completed in order to receive any Federal and State aid, and some scholarships.  You will need a Federal Student Aid Personal Identification Number (PIN) to sign your FAFSA online.  If you have to include your parent's information on the FAFSA, your parents will need a PIN.  If you do not already have a PIN, you can apply for one at  If you have forgotten your PIN, you may request a duplicate PIN.  Craven's priority deadline is June 1 of each year to ensure aid is available for Fall semester.

Once Craven receives your processed FAFSA, we will send an email to your student email account letting you know the information needed to complete your financial aid file.  You will need to schedule an appointment for the New Bern or Havelock campus by going to and clicking on Financial aid and Scholarships and then click on the appointment scheduler.  Submit any required documents to the Financial Aid Office during your appointment.  Please respond promptly to requests for information.

Ensure all documents have been received by admissions.  Admissions will need to be completed in order to receive Federal or State aid.

You will receive notification from Financial Aid on your next step.  If eligible for grants, you will receive notification at your student email account to complete the Financial Aid Workshop on Craven's website.  If not eligible for grants, you will receive notification at your student email account.  Students not eligible for aid will receive a notification of evaluation at your student email account.

You may review your financial aid information on WebAdvisor (your student web account for registering, checking grades and viewing financial aid information).

For general questions about Financial Aid, please visit


  • Applications that are completed by June 1 will have priority on aid funds for the following year. A completed file consists of the Student Aid Report, completed admissions requirements for Craven Community College, and any additional documentation required by the aid office.  Applications for financial aid that are completed and received before March 31 of each year will be given priority consideration for FSEOG.  This means that you are assured of your share of available funds. Students with an incomplete aid application file will be expected to pay tuition and book costs on the day they register for each semester.  NOTE: Students must reapply each academic year for financial aid.
  • Scholarships established by private contributions from individuals, business organizations, and clubs provide aid to students who meet specific donor criteria.  Students interested in scholarships should contact the Financial Aid Office for appropriate applications and deadlines. 

Eligibility Requirements

In general, a student is eligible to apply for financial assistance if the following requirements are met:

  • Student must be a United States citizen or an eligible non-citizen.
  • Student must be enrolled as a regular student in an eligible course of study. Student must maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined by the Craven Community College Financial Aid Office.
  • Student must demonstrate a financial need according to each program's criteria and must complete necessary forms.
  • Student must not owe a refund to the Pell Grant, ACG, FSEOG, or NCSIG nor be in default of any student loan.
  • If a student is a male born on or after January 1, 1960, or at least 18 years of age and not currently a member of the U.S. Armed Forces, he must be registered with selective service.  Student must sign a certification of registration, and he may be required to prove that he is registered.
  • Student must have a Social Security number.
  • Student must have a high school diploma or a GED.

Video: How do I know if I will qualify for financial aid?

Dependency Status

  • When you apply for federal student aid, your answers to certain questions will determine whether you are considered dependent on your parent(s)--and must, therefore, report their income and assets as well as your own--or whether you are independent and must, therefore, report only your own income and assets (and those of your spouse, if you are married).
  • Students are classified as dependent or independent because federal student aid programs are based on the idea that students (and their parents or spouse, if applicable) have the primary responsibility of paying for their post secondary education.  You are an independent student if at least one of the following applies to you:
    • You were born before January 1, 1985.
    • You are married.
    • You are enrolled in a graduate or professional educational program.
    • You have legal dependents other than a spouse.
    • You are an orphan or ward of the court (or were a ward of the court until age 18).
    • You are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces.
    • You are currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training.

NOTE:  If you consider yourself to be an independent student but you do not meet any of the above conditions, you must make an appointment with the Financial Aid Director to discuss your situation.

Video: What is the difference between a dependent student and an independent student?

Step By Step

Step 1

  • File the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). This must be completed in order to receive Federal and State aid and some scholarships. If you apply online at you will need to obtain a PIN at if you do not already have a PIN. Financial Aid recipients need to complete the FAFSA every year. FAFSA applications are available to complete after January 1st of each year.
  • Complete Craven Community College's General Scholarship Application. Application due in the Financial Aid Office by March 31st of each year.
  • Search for outside scholarships via a free national search. Example – and Please be aware there are many scholarship scams, so always read the fine print and also understand that there are many free scholarship searches with access to the same information.
  • Ensure all documents have been received by admissions.
  • Take all required placement tests for admissions.

Video: What is the FAFSA?

Step 2

  • Once the Financial Aid Office has received your processed FAFSA, we will send you an email at your student email account letting you know what is needed to complete your financial aid file.
  • Schedule an appointment for the New Bern or Havelock campus using the Financial aid appointment scheduler by going to and clicking on Financial Aid and Scholarships and then click on the appointment scheduler.
  • Submit any required documentation to the Financial Aid Office during your appointment.
  • Review your financial aid award letter on WebAdvisor.
  • Complete the Online Financial Aid Workshop by going to, click on Financial Aid and Scholarships and then click on Financial Aid Workshop.
  • Please read all correspondence sent from Craven Community College's Financial Aid Office.
  • Complete a realistic academic year budget listing income and expenses.

Step 3

  • Register for classes during posted times.
  • Receive a copy of your registration form and bill from your advisor or counselor. Make your payment by the deadline.
  • For Regular term classes:
    • One week before classes begin, you may begin charging your book expenses against your grants and/or scholarships in the bookstore. 
  • For Late-start and B-term classes:
    • You may begin charging against your grant and/or scholarship the day late-start or B-term classes begin.