Applying at Craven

Admissions Policy

Craven Community College maintains an "open door" admissions policy. Admission to Craven Community College is granted to all graduates of high school or to those with a recognized equivalency, such as a General Education Development Certificate (GED), who meet the general admissions requirements.

Admissions Procedures

As part of the admissions process, you must complete the following steps:

  1. Application

    Online application

    Prospective students may apply either online (preferred) or via a paper application. As you attempt the Online application, you'll review an information page and then begin the application. At that point, if you can NOT view the login page, be sure your browser's privacy settings ARE NOT set to override automatic cookie handling AND Java Script is enabled.

    Select the Craven Application for Admission to begin your application. Once you have completed and submit the application, you will receive a confirmation email from the Admissions Office and your application will be processed.

    Paper application

    Paper applications are available at Student Services.

  2. Transcripts

    High School Transcripts: All applicants must submit an official high school transcript EXCEPT those who have earned an Associate’s Degree or higher.

    General Educational Development (GED) Transcripts: Applicants who have completed a GED must submit an official transcript from the state in which the GED was received. Students with a GED from North Carolina can download the GED Request Form.

    College/university transcripts: Applicants must submit official transcripts from ALL colleges/universities previously attended. Failure to do so will delay the admissions process and the student will not be eligible to receive financial aid until the transcripts have been received.

    Submit official high school/GED and all college transcripts to Craven Community College.

    For a printable transcript request form, please select Requesting Transcripts from other colleges and/or high schools.

    Note: Official transcripts must be in the original, sealed envelope; faxed or emailed copies of transcripts are NOT official.

  3. COMPASS Placement Test

    Schedule and take the COMPASS Placement Test, if needed. The placement test is free and is not Pass/Fail. It aids in determining the appropriate English, Reading and Math courses for you to take at Craven.

    To schedule your test, please call the Admissions Office at (252)638-7200 or email After completing your placement test, return to Student Services to meet with an academic advisor and review your test scores. 

    NOTE: Students may be exempt from taking the placement test if they meet certain requirements.

  4. New Student Orientation

    Register and attend Panther PRIDE3.  Panther PRIDE3 is Craven Community College’s orientation session.  All students must attend an orientation session in order to register for courses for their first semester or term.  For more information pertaining to orientation, please visit the First Year Experience web page.

  5. Financial Aid

    Apply for Financial Aid by reviewing and completing the Financial Aid Application Procedures. Submit all supporting documents to Financial Aid Office in a timely manner.  The Financial Aid process takes approximately 6-8 weeks to complete. We encourage you to watch the Financial Aid TV located at the bottom of the web page.

Advising and Career Services

To learn more about the Advising Process at Craven Community College, visit our Advising and Career Services information.

Additional Admissions Information

Returning Students

A curriculum student who has not been enrolled for over a year or has graduated with a certificate, diploma, or degree from a designated program of study must complete a new Application for Admission.

The student is required to follow the catalog of record that is current for the term that the readmission becomes effective.  If a former student has taken classes at other colleges/institutions since last attending Craven Community College the student should request official transcripts to be forwarded to Craven.

Visiting Students/Special Credit

Applicants who do not wish to pursue a particular program of study will be admitted as Visiting/Special Credit (non-degree seeking) students.  These students are often enrolled for the purpose of transferring courses to another college/university, gaining special skills, or for personal enrichment.  A Special Credit student does not intend to complete a degree, diploma, or certificate from Craven Community College.  Special Credit Students are required to complete the Application for Admission.

Prerequisite requirements for courses are the SAME for both degree seeking and Special Credit Students.  If the courses for which the student plans to enroll have prerequisites, documentation that the prerequisites have been met must be provided prior to enrolling. You may do this by:

  • Submitting official or unofficial college transcripts (Note: official transcripts are not required)
  • Submitting a letter from your current institution giving permission to take courses at Craven
  • Submitting satisfactory placement test scores for developmental courses

*Please be aware that Special Credit students are NOT eligible to receive Financial Aid.

High School Students

Craven Community College and the Craven County Schools have teamed up to give local high school students The Craven EDGE!  The EDGE, which stands for "Earn a Degree, Graduate Early," is a program that enables high school students to take college-level courses through Craven Community College without paying tuition. By enrolling in college courses while still in high school, students can get ahead in their studies, which can save them time and money.

Select Career and College Promise for additional information.

Illegal aliens

The North Carolina Community College System requires that undocumented or illegal aliens who apply to receive post-secondary college-level education should supply written documentation of their eligibility as set forth in Federal Law, 8 USC Section 1641. It is the applicant's responsibility to satisfy the college that the applicant is eligible for post-secondary education benefits. Anyone who is unable to satisfy this requirement will not be allowed to enroll in Craven's credit programs. However, undocumented or illegal aliens may enroll in non-college level courses or programs, including GED preparation courses, Adult Basic Education, Adult High School, English as a Second Language and other continuing education courses less than college level.