Resume of Catherine Chew
President 2008 - Present
Craven Community College, New Bern, NC
- Spearheaded the creation of the College's Strategic plan entitled Many Voices One Vision: Craven 2015.
- Launched Foundations of Excellence Self Study/First Year Experience Program, and comprehensive marketing/outreach plan.
- Enhanced partnerships with military, businesses, non-profits and educational institutions to better serve students in the community.
- Revitalized the Foundation Board and initiated the Community Fabrics Awards event.
Vice President for Academic Affairs 2005 - 2008
Orange County Community College, Middleton, NY
- Authored the college's first Academic Master Plan 2005-2010 revitalizing programs, curriculum and laboratories; instituted a comprehensive Annual Report to assess accomplishments.
- Initiated the Global Initiative to create greater multicultural understanding and an interdisciplinary focus across the curriculum.
- Collaborated on plans and construction of an $87 million branch campus in Newburgh, NY and an $1.2 million Gilman Center for International Studies.
Assistant Dean, College of Professional Studies 2003-2005
New Jersey City University, Jersey City, NJ
- Oversaw the Small Business Incubator, a revitalization effort for the West End Bayside Project; supervised the Small Business Development Center.
- Partnered with Brookdale and Ocean County Community Colleges to offer bachelor degree programs at the jointly formed Communiversity location.
Dean, Business, Technology & Allied Health 1999 - 2003
Northampton Community College, Bethlehem, PA
- Fostered interdisciplinary collaboration to assess communication and math skills across the curriculum culminating in shared rubrics.
- Designed accelerated and flexible programs in International Business, CIT, Nursing, Electronics and Office Technology with business/industry partners.
Dean, Business, Science & Technology 1997 - 1999
Dallas County Community College District – Cedar Valley, Lancaster, TX
Director, Center for Instructional Excellence Coordinator, School-to-Work Programs 1992 - 1997
Madison Area Technical College, Madison, WI
Project Director, Center on Education and Work 1991 - 1992
University of Wisconsin- Madison, Madison, WI
Assistant Director and Instructor, Small Business Management Program 1990 - 1991
New River Community College, Dublin, VA
Counselor 1983 - 1990
City of Salem Schools, Salem, VA
Teacher 1978 - 1983
Roanoke County Schools, VA
Virginia Tech University – Blacksburg, VA
Ed.D Career Education (1991)
Dissertation Topic: Female Mentors
Virginia Tech University – Blacksburg, VA
M.A. Student Personnel (1984)
Tennessee Tech University – Cookeville, TN
B.A. Elementary Education (1977)
Haynes Mediation Institute – New York City, NY
Mediator's Certificate (1985)
- AACC's Global Education Commission, 2010 - Present
- ACCT Presidents Advisory Council, 2009 - 2011
- New Bern Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors, 2009 - Present
- Havelock Chamber of Commerce Board, Jan 2012 - Present
- NC Symphony Board, 2009 - Present
- Swiss Bear Board of Directors, 2008 - Present
- Craven County Economic Development Commission/Task Force, 2008 - Present
- Havelock Military Alliance, 2008 - Present
- German Fulbright Scholar (2012)
- 2011 Women of Achievement (General Federation of Women's Club of NC)
- Executive Leadership Institute Fellow (League for Innovation 2001)
- Kellogg Fellow Expanding Leadership Diversity in Community Colleges (League of Innovation 1996)
- Celebrating Generations of Women Leaders Award (Virginia Tech University 1996)
- Eastern Regional Management Academy Reviewer, Monmouth University, NJ, 2005
- School-to-Work Transition: Resources for Counseling, Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin Press, 1995
- Tech Prep and Counseling: A Resource Guide, Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin Press, 1993
- A Case Study of the Characteristics and Functions of Female Mentors, Blacksburg, VA: Virginia Tech University, 1991
PRESENTATIONS (Selected Sample)
American Association of Community Colleges Annual Conference, Washington D.C. (2007)
Title – The Global Initiative: Latin American – Connecting Cultures and Curriculum
Learning Innovations Conference sponsored by the League for Innovation in Community Colleges Boston, MA (2002)
Title – Creating a Masterpiece: The BEST Lab
Learning Innovations Conference sponsored by the League for Innovation in Community Colleges Atlanta, GA (2001)
Title – Seizing the Moment: Learning, Leadership & Laughter
Consulted and conducted workshops/seminars in 20 states on school reform (1991-1996)